Hvitträsk was built between 1901-1903 by architects Herman Gesellius, Armas Lindgren and Eliel Saarinen. The main building, designed in National Romantic style, built of logs and natural stone, was both a common studio and a home for Eliel Saarinen and Armas Lindgren for some years after it was completed. During that time, Gesellius lived in the courtyard building and later moved into the north-wing of the main building after Lindgren relocated in Helsinki.
- Hvitträsk is closed for the winter. The museum will be open 1.5.-30.9.2017. Welcome!
- Guided tours from May to September. Read more.
During the early decades, the main building served as both an architectural office and as a cultural home. It was visited by such esteemed figures as Jean Sibelius, Axel Gallen-Kallela and Maksim Gorki.
The office's staff also lived at Hvitträsk, and this is where the plans were drawn up for the Helsinki Railway Station, the National Museum of Finland and the monumental Munkkiniemi-Haaga project, among other grand works.
Hvitträsk is also the boyhood home for world famous architect Eero Saarinen, who made his reputation primarily in the United States designing buildings and monuments such as the Gateway Arch in St. Louis, Missouri.
The Saarinen home is a museum today, and within the courtyard building are a restaurant and a café. Hvitträsk and its lovely English style garden are surrounded by beautiful nature near the shore of Lake Vitträsk.
Museum is open
Wed-Sun 11 am - 5 pm
Hvitträsk is closed on Midsummer Eve 24.6.
and Midsummer Day 25.6.
Adults 9 €
Reduced ticket 6 € (students, pensioners, unemployed, conscripts and groups more than 10 persons)
Children 7-17 years 3 €
Family ticket (2 adults and 1-4 children) 20 €
Free entry for those under 7
How to get there?
tel. +358 295 33 6952
tel. +358 295 33 6951