Kansallismuseo tunnus

Exhibition calendar  |  Museum shop  |  Media Service   |  Contact Information  |  Feedback

Suomeksi  |  På svenska



Armas Lindgren 1874–1929


Armas Lindgren registered at the Polytechnical Institute in 1892 immediately after his matriculation examination and got a degree in architecture in 1897. Lindgren was interested in art history and was eager to document old architecture on the Archaeological Commission’s trips that focused on art history. Due to his wide knowledge of culture and pedagogical talent Lindgren also had a remarkable career in teaching. He taught art history at the Polytechnical Institute, and in 1902 – 12 he was the artistic director of the higher department of the Central School of Arts and Crafts. He was nominated Professor of Architecture at the University of Technology in 1919.

At Hvitträsk Lindgren and family lived in the North Wing designed by him for close to a year and a half in 1903 – 1905. He was a member of the architectural office Gesellius, Lindgren, Saarinen until 1905 - from then on he worked together with Wivi Lönn and Bertel Liljequist among others.
Armas Lindgren. Photo: National Board of Antiquities