|Museum shop | Media Service | Contact Information | Feedback ||Suomeksi | På svenska|
The Parsonage from Iisalmi
The Iisalmi Parsonage was built by master-builder Simon Silvén in
1797-98. The vicar at the time was Johan Lagus. The building consisted
originally of six rooms, the kitchen and entrance room. The floor plan
is found in Carl Wijnblad's book of model designs from 1755. Later
during the 19th century, lower wings were added to both ends
of the building. Only the mansard-roofed skeleton from the 1700s was
brought to Seurasaari in the 1960's.
In the Museum, the rooms at the other end of the building are furnished in the style of 19th-century
parsonages. Each rooms represents the term of office of a different
vicar of the parish. The drawing room represents the early 1800's, the
bishop's room the 1840s and the dining room mainly the 1860's.
The office represents the terms of vicars J. L. Lagus and Th. Brofeldt,
the father of the famous Finnish author Juhani Aho. The Parsonage was
opened to the public in 1984 when the Museum had its
The museum's office is located in the Iisalmi parsonage during summer.