|Museum shop | Media Service | Contact Information | Feedback ||Suomeksi | På svenska|
Kahiluoto Manor House
The Kahiluoto Manor was brought to Seurasaari from the island of
Kahiluoto in Taivassalo. Kahiluoto was a manorial estate already in the
Middle Ages when it was owned by the Ille family. After that it
descended in the Footangel and Stark families. The main building was
built during the ownership of Agneta Eleonora de la Myle ca. in 1790.
The oldest picture of the manor is F. L. de la Myle's drawing from 1796.
The manor was sold on several occasions in the early 1800s until it was
acquired by a local farmer who did not need the main building. It was
sold to the Museum and brought to Seurasaari in 1926.
The middle part of the main building has two storeys. The ground plan
was inspired by the model plans in an architectural guide published in
1755 by Carl Wijnblad. The front of the building has two entrances which
was rare at the time. There were no porches. There were stairs leading
from the entrance rooms to upstairs. The building has three drawing
rooms, a kitchen and nine other rooms.
In the Museum, the dining room and the downstairs drawing room were
papered with Gustavian cloth wallpaper from Olkkala Manor in Vihti. The
drawing rooms, the downstairs bedroom, lady's room and master's room
represent the 1700s. The furniture is from various manors. The
downstairs corner room is decorated as a Biedermeier reception room and
the upstairs guest rooms have Biedermeier or neo-Rococo furniture. The
large kitchen with its enormous oven resembles rustic dwellings. The
open shelves in the kitchen are original.