Never before has the story of Finland’s independent years been told in such a touching way.
Never before has the story of Finland’s independent years been told in such a touching way. The exhibition will play at the heartstrings of both Finns and visitors from abroad. It has been put together by film director Juho Kuosmanen, cultural multitalent Kaarina Hazard, historian Teemu Keskisarja and set designer Kari Kankaanpää, to name a few.
Finland’s recent history is a mingling of light and deep shadows. The exhibition takes a bold new look at the wounds left by wars and the struggle for independence. But it also brims with joy for the 100-year-old Finland, which has managed to grow into a country of democracy, equality and wellbeing, and pokes loving fun at the nation’s little peculiarities – Finns are a weird but happy bunch! We are a people who love the Moomins, the Ball Chair, children’s waterproof overalls, heavy metal music and sauna.
The carefully selected items on display have a strong grip on our hearts. The boots of a fallen red soldier, a ballot box from the first election, goldware donated to the state by ordinary people during the Second World War, and the ocarina and suitcase of little refugee girl Elvi who had to leave her home in Karelia all vividly connect the past with the present. The story continues on in digital format in places where the physical objects, images and words alone are not sufficient.
A powerful story will never provide the audience with ready-made answers, which is why the exhibition leaves room for people’s own ideas and interpretations.
Book a private guided tour in the exhibition.
Designer and expert team
- Dramatic script and direction: film director Juho Kuosmanen, free writer Kaarina Hazard and project manager Hanna Forssell
- Expert manuscript by: Docent Teemu Keskisarja, Docent Hanna Kuusi and Docent Jukka Kortti, as well as Professor Sakari Heikkinen, Professor Kimmo Rentola, Professor Veli-Pekka Lehtola, Professor Antti Häkkinen and university researcher Aappo Kähönen
- Set design: set designer Kari Kankaanpää
- Illustrations and graphic design: graphic designer Elina Warsta and designer Kasper Tammela
- Digital applications by Matti Niinimäki, lighting design by Jenni Pystynen, and sound design by Viljami Lehtonen and Aki Päivärinne