The earliest known owner of Louhisaari was a woman by the name of Elin.
Elin married squire Magnus Fleming around the middle of the 15th
Several of the Louhisaari Flemings held important posts in the kingdom of Sweden-Finland. Among the most prominent of them were governor Herman Pehrs'son Fleming (died 1573), Claes Lars'son Fleming (1592-1644), admiral and president of the Board of Trade, and Herman Claes'son Fleming
(1619-1673), admiral, Governor-general of Finland and head of the
internal revenue department, who built Askainen church (1653) and
Louhisaari Manor (1655). The heirs of Herman Claes'son Fleming
(1734-1789), courtier, " the last wealthy Fleming", sold the manor in 1791.
It was bought four years later by Carl Eric Mannerheim
who was one of the outstanding leaders during Finland's period of
autonomy, member of the committee organizing the administration of
Finland and later vice-chairman of the economic department of the Senate
In 1826, Mannerheim who had been made a count a couple of years
earlier, relinguished his appointments and took over the management of
Louhisaari, taking a keen interest in farming and horticulture.
The next owner of Louhisaari, his eldest son Carl Gustaf Mannerheim
(1797-1854) was a provincial governor and president of the Viipuri
Court of Appeal, and gained international fame as an entomogolist. The
estate passed to his son Carl Robert Mannerheim, a businessman, whose
third child, Marshal of Finland Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim,
was born in Louhisaari in 1867 and spent his childhood there. The
Mannerheim family owned Louhisaari until 1903 when Baroness Wilhelmina
Mannerheim sold it to Mr. Oskar Hannus and moved to Sweden.
On the death of Oskar Hannus the estate passed to his
daughter Mrs. Inkeri Hovinen, from whom the Commitee for an Equestrian
Monument for Marshal of Finland bought the main building, surrounding
park area and avenue and donated it to the Finnish State for
administration by the National Museum.
Photo: The National Board of Antiquities