Kansallismuseo tunnus

Museum shop  |  Media Service   |  Contact Information  |  Feedback

Suomeksi  |  På svenska



Building Stages of Olavinlinna Castle



Olavinlinna (34.5 MB)


3D Modelling of Olavinlinna Castle

The 3D modelling depicts three different stages of the castle's construction; the Middle Ages, the year 1730 and the year 1799. The modelling demonstrates how the look of the castle changed due to weaponry development and preparations for war.

The modelling also illustrates how both the Swedes and the Russians left their imprint on the castle. Old Swedish and Russian drawings as well as blueprints, studies and old pictures have been used as a source when creating the modellings. However, every stage also includes some interpretation by the makers of the modelling about how the castle looked.

The oldest part of the modelling depicts the Middle Ages. The Swedes started building the Olavinlinna Castle on their restless eastern border in 1475. The castle was a stronghold of 150 men-at-arms. The foundation of its defence was a novelty of the Late Middle Ages, round towers projecting from the castle wall. The towers made it possible to fire at a large range. The modelling of the Middle Ages features mostly interpretation by the makers as very few sources from that time still remain. Also most of the medieval features and parts of the castle no longer exist and can no longer be reliably traced back and modelled.

The modelling of the year 1730 depicts Olavinlinna Castle the way it was before the end of Swedish ownership in 1743. The damages to the castle from the Great Northern War were being repaired and one of the medieval towers had been taken down. Different wooden buildings and structures such as living quarters and working spaces had also been built in the castle yard as well as stake barriers at the waterfront and in front of the gates to strengthen the defences.

The last stage of the modelling illustrates the situation in 1799 when the biggest reconstruction work of the Russian era, the bastion lines; had been completed. The castle was rebuilt and extended in many ways. In the eastern part of the castle a new bailey named Suvorov with a water stream was built, the towers were raised and the main gate was moved to the new curtain wall. Furthermore, the wooden buildings from the Swedish era were replaced with new buildings made of stone.

Creators of the Modelling

National Board of Antiquities / Minna Väisänen, Johanna Nordman and Päivi Hakanpää
Vuorio & Torkkel Computer Graphics / Ale Torkkel